new kernels, cifs and new webmin

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Mar 26 16:12:53 UTC 2004

"William Hooper" <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> writes:

[...]

> I don't think your issue is cifs at all, but WinXP.  Here is what a quick
> Google search turns up:
>
> http://lowendpc.com/box/2002/0916.html
>
> Reading the links from that article, it looks like you are trying to use
> "Simple file sharing".  From what I gather "Allow network users to change
> files" actually only allows everyone to "Read"...
>
> I'd say since you have WinXP Pro, get rid of the "Simple" file sharing
> crap and set permissions manually.
>
> Disclaimer: I've only used WinXP Pro in a domain environment which doesn't
> use the "Simple" file sharing.

Thanks, that url is a bonanza... I haven't actually gotten to try
scrapping the `simplified' stuff yet but it looks very promising.

One thing continues to mystify.... reverting to smbfs by generating a
custom kernel with smbfs enabled, allows read/write to those shares
with no other changes.

smbfs must be overriding some of `winxp pro' settings?  Overriding
stuff that cifs does not?