Problems with serial ata

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Mar 28 01:38:59 UTC 2004

As I just bought my first serial ata disk , I'm having lockup problems
on my two fedora installations (FC2t1 and FC1).

The hardware I'm using is a Asus A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard (Silicon sata
chip) , using a seagate disk (not configured as raid). The OS is
installed on a parallel ata disk and has worked for a long time without
problems. The problem happens when I remove "hde=noprobe" from the boot
line to detect the serial ata disk (it is being recognized as hde).
The system locks and no messages appear on /var/log/messages . On the
other O$, it works perfectly...
This locks happen on FC2t1 and on FC1 (both fully updated). The problem
happens with full system load or even if the system is sitting idle...

Any ideas? I'm gonna make more tests , this time with smartd disabled
and see if I can pinpoint the cause of the problems...

--
Pedro Macedo