Unable to align partition

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sun Mar 28 18:14:19 UTC 2004

On Sunday 28 March 2004 12:21, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 09:53:04AM -0500, gplou at centrenad.com wrote:
> > > Supposedly (comments either in bugzilla or one of these mailing lists)
> > > the problem is that the 2.6 kernel has changed a few things and also
> > > parted has
> > > been changed to not "fixup" things.  The result is that (IMHO) things
> > > are broken.  OK, what can be done ...
>
> The kernel now lets user space handle partition maps. Since the case
> you are talking about involves a pre-existing partition table it is
> clearly a bug in parted/disk druid as the partition numbers can be (and
> should have been) taken from the table itself.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed? ... or at least looked at?

I am not that knowledgable in kernel stuff of low level disk I/O myself.  I
could learn but have other higher priority stuff using up my time.

> The fun starts with a blank disk. In those cases providing Linux writes
> the partition table either native or to match the BIOS windows should
> then adopt that partition map too. (and in theory but evidently not
> practice this beta 8) the reverse)

Yes, I can see where a blank disk could present real difficulties -- just what
are the "correct" parameters.  The SATA interface switch betwen the 2.4 and
2.6 kernels does not help.
--
Gene