Shrinking an LVM root filesystem?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Mar 28 19:30:50 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've built a server and installed FC1.  I used LVM for /, /usr, /home,
/var, and swap.  /boot is in it's own partition.  I fully intend to
upgrade to FC2 when it is released, which is why I am posting here
instead of the FC1 list.

Not really knowing what I was doing, I sized my / rather larger than I
should have, thinking that I could just shrink it later if I needed to.

I've since decided that I will probably want to do just that, but if I
understand correctly, I can only shrink unmounted filesystems.  I could
reinstall, as I have not gone live with this server yet.  Is it possible
to shrink / from rescue mode or something?

Also, can I grow and shrink any  filesystem I desire, anywhere in the
LVG no matter what the order in which I defined them?  i.e. is any free
space in the LVG available to any filesystem in it?

Sorry if I seem a bit dense, but this is my first LVM install.

Oh, and while I'm asking questions, what is the status of ext2online and
Fedora.  I don't believe it is in FC2-test1 or rawhide.  Is it planned
for inclusion some time in the future?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Bergman