DVD sizes

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Mon Mar 29 20:42:16 UTC 2004

Chris,

> Once upon a time, John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com> said:
>>    I really do not like the way people here are treating Gene. Could be
>> something really going wrong with his client? Maybe we should take
>> people at their word and try and help instead? This is the reason I
>> have alot of newbies tell me Linux users suck.
>
> What do you want me to say?  I'm the mirror admin for mirror.hiwaay.net.
> He is seeing something from my mirror that I do not see (either via
> shell or FTP) and he's seeing it from another mirror as well.  The
> logical assumption then is that there is a problem at his end.

   I would like to see people ask constructive questions without making
off hand comments like "Problem between keyboard and monitor?". This is
not constructive, it is destructive to the community. This is a person
trying to figure out what is going on and trying to test. Very
beneficial to the process of testing.

> However, from this I have (I think) discovered a bug in Apache.  I don't
> serve the ISOs via HTTP (because Apache tends to do odd things with
> large files).  However, if I go to that directory and get the generated
> directory listing, it doesn't include the DVD.  I bet Apache is using 32
> (or 31) bits for file sizes; at least it just skips the file it can't
> handle (instead of crashing).

   Hmm.. So something besides "Problem between keyboard and monitor?"
going on.