SSH and charset

Igor Romanenko romanenko.igor at kyivstar.net
Tue Mar 30 13:54:21 UTC 2004

> IMHO at some stage it will be done anyways as UTF is becoming a de facto
> standard for i18n worldwide. 10 years ago there were a lot of different
> docs in Cp866, no it is so rare. In my opinion, the same will happen with
> national character sets. UTF is handier, there is no doubt about that. And
> coming to it as a common standard is just a matter of time.

I agree with you on that. The only question is: whether it is feasible
to enforce UTF-8 locale in it's current state and taking into account
the overly large amount of KOI8-* files? One of the first things people
do after installing RedHat here (in Kyiv, Ukraine) is to switch to KOI8.
There is even a step-by-step FAQ on that ;)

Maybe, it would be nice if the installer asks for preferred encoding
after it determines the language setting.

> Best regards,
> Igor.

Sincerely,

--