kernel rebuild does'nt build actual kernel

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Mon Mar 1 21:57:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'm probably in over my head but rebuilding this package:
>     kernel-2.6.3-1.116.src.rpm
>
> Does not produce a regular kernel package.  I only get:
>
>  *RPMS/
>   kernel-debuginfo-2.6.3-1.116.i386.rpm  kernel-source-2.6.3-1.116.i386.rpm
>   kernel-doc-2.6.3-1.116.i386.rpm

Yes it does. You just have to talk nice to it. :-)

Try adding --target i686-redhat-linux to your command line. If you want to do
the i386 and i686 stuff at the same time add both --target i686-redhat-linux
and --target i386-redhat-linux on the command line.

FWIW you can edit the spec file to turn off the debug, boot and other kernels
you might not need. The stuff you need to edit is right at the top.

> and
>   *SRPMS/
>   kernel-2.6.3-1.116.src.rpm
>
> No `kernel-2.6.3-1.116.i386.rpm'
> Nothing in any other dir under RPMS
>
> Its the only kernel of that version under SRPMs for rawhide.

Yup!! That is the one you need.

Disclaimer, I have not actually built a 2.6 kernel yet but that is what
makes the 2.4 rpms build the stuff I need. I am assuming it is the same.
If not I am sure someone will correct me.

HTH,

Tom