FC2-t1 exhibits long delay on LVM setup

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 19:59:26 UTC 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct at redhat.com> wrote:

> ...a patch to use 2.6's /sys/block pseudo-filesystem to filter which
> block devices are worth probing for physical volumes.  This should
> improve things no end.

Was this it?

* Thu Feb 19 2004 Stephen C. Tweedie <sct at redhat.com> 2.00.08-4

- Add sysfs filter patch
- Allow non-root users to build RPM

Didn't fix the raid 1 problem for me.  Unless I manually exclude raid
member devices in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, I get:

  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found duplicate PV o4Icc0yt8OloT89tnJ5xq156XCwYEczT: using /dev/sda3 not /dev/hda2

This failure mode is particularly bad when your root fs is in such an
LVM device, and you just rebuilt all of your initrd images with the
new, ``fixed´´ lvm binary and without lvm.conf.  But even if I run it
after booting from a working-lvm.conf initrd, if I run vgscan on the
running system without lvm.conf, it fails just the same (and it
scarily fails to complete)

Want me to bugzilla this?

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}