can not change display resolution

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 4 20:50:26 UTC 2004

Richard Hally wrote:

>As an normal user(not root) I pick from the menu SystemSettings=>Display
and
>I get a query message box about attempting to run "system-config-display"
>asking for root password. If the user doesn't have root he can't change his
>display! Is this a bug?

system-setttigs are global-settings, only root can change
In the "desktop usage" case, I guess the desktop user will have access to
root. Is this a good idea?

try it under
preferences / display
here are the user-defined settings, no root password is needed
works here
thanks for the reminder! Now the problem is that the resolution will not
stay at that setting after a logging out and back in(with the "save current
setup" checked) and the "Make default for this computer" checked as well.
>Also, when I put in the root password, config display does not start and no
>error is reported. Is this a bug?

unfortunatey i have a empty system-seetings

what happens as user
$ system-config-display
The same query box asking for root comes up and when I give it the root
password, I get the error "Could not set exec context to
user_u:sysadm_r:sysadm_t".
(I am running SELinux in permissive mode).
If I su - then do system-config-display it works.  But that is a lot to
expect in the "Desktop usage" case.

THT
Richard