ess soundcard not detected

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 01:00:05 UTC 2004

Dave Waller wrote:
> Well I have done a bit more and I have the module that I am supposed to
> load
> /lib/modules/2.6.3-1.118/kernel/sound/isa/snd-es18xx.ko
> But modprobe loads it with an error
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_es18xx
> (/lib/modules/2.6.3-1.118/kernel/sound/isa/snd-es18xx.ko): No such device
> So I bet I have to have some IO/DMA settings for this isa probably PNP
> device.
> I found a alsaconf script and ran that and it got the module loaded but
> it still was not useable, I am guessing that either I am missing a link
> in /dev (dev/mixer) or permissions are wrong on the /dev entries.
>
> Dave

With an AC 97 type soundcard, I have the excerpt below in
/etc/modprobe.conf for sound.

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 ||:
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

Some sound configuration utility moved my modules line down a bit. The
important information is most likely the below.

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0

If you substitute snd-es18xx for each occurance of snd-intel8x0 in the
modprobe.conf file, maybe the sound will work.

I still have to right click on the sound icon and select "open volume
control" with each boot in order to get sound.

Out of curiousity, I ran
modprobe snd-intel8x0
to see if I got any errors because the module already being loaded.
Modprobe did not return any output. I was curious if an already loaded
module would produce an already loaded error message or not. I ran it
twice and no output shows for an already loaded module.

Running lsmod lists the below sound related modules. I assume that other
than the sound driver, things should be pretty similar. (Purely
guessing). Note the one line from running the lsmod command is pretty long.

Good luck,

Jim

snd_pcm_oss            48548  0
snd_mixer_oss          17024  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_intel8x0           33704  1
snd_ac97_codec         55940  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                99208  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0
snd_timer              30212  1 snd_pcm
gameport                5120  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_page_alloc         11524  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         8960  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            26400  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8072  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    53476  9
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore               9952  2 snd