fedora core 2 test1 & sound

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 01:27:08 UTC 2004

Mark Fonnemann wrote:
> Hey everyone-
>
> does anyone know why sound support wasn't compiled into the kernel? any idea
> when this will be implemented? just curious, thanks...

This move was made before test 1 came out. The logic was to take away
the oss sound drivers, so reports would be filed for problems with the
alsa sound drivers.
With no fallback for oss, alsa bugs need reported and resolved before
FC2 is released.

I expected some sort of sound configuration tool or automatic soundcard
detection and configuration. The drivers are there. Getting the
sound-drivers loaded is however not an automated task yet. (Unless I
missed some new trick for kudzu and system-config-soundcard of recent days).

Jim

> mark.
>
> p.s. sorry about the duplicate posts about yum and the duplicate posts about
> up2date. for some reason, unknownst to me, both messages were sent twice...

I had one message that posted twice awhile back. One message had
fedora-test-list in the address twice. The duplicate only had
fedora-test-list addressed once. I figured it was some replicator virus
or something. (JK)