XFree86 4.4.0

Razvan Corneliu C.R. "d3vi1" VILT razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
Sat Mar 6 22:00:36 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 13:30 -0800, Mark Fonnemann wrote:
> Hello-
>
>     i wonder (in the future) if there will now become two separate branches to
> the XFree86 code of if a replacement will be developed. i heard of a
> replacement to X-windows called y-windows; it supposedly is being written as a
> modern, open source (GPL'd) window architecture, which is both modular and
> network transparent among other things.i wonder if something like this will be
> considered. i believe a working prototype exists but is in the early stages.
> just a thought.
>
> mark.

Y-Windows is something completly different from XWindows.
The problem now is what are the options:
1) Keep going with XFree86 4.3 + selected patches from 4.4 written until
the licence was changed. This seems like the most likely one.
2) Add another X-Server. Here there are many options:
     a) Xouvert (Unless they will continue to work with XFree86
codebase, which means that the licence of their software will change)
     b) XServ from freedesktop.org. Unfortunately this project is still
in it's early stages of development. There are of course some very cool
features, but it's not gonna be stable enough soon.
     c) X11 from X.org. It's the base of most of the XServers currently
existing. Unfortunately, there's a lot of work to do until it's a drop-
ing replacement for XFree86.

In the fedora development process they are trying to change all the deps
from XFree86 provided ones to more generic ones, but this also takes
time. The first thing that should be done, when changing an X-Server, is
adding in it's provides something like X11-devel.
Then all the appliactions that need the X11 headers (there are many
trust me), should have their BUILD Requirements changed from XFree86-
devel to X11-devel. This is only for the headers, but there are many
others which are problematic.
Just changing these in all the specs, should make a replacement of the
X-Server easier, but, what are the options.
In my opinion XFree86 4.3, or 4.4-RC1 (where it still has the old
licence, I belive) should be good enough. Just patch that one.