Laptop Dock Station Resolutions

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 7 06:43:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 09:01:26PM -0600, Lewt @ Linux Warcry wrote:

> One of the greater fustrations with our laptops at work using Linux is
> the innability for us to have our resolution go up when plugging it into
> the docking station..  Would that be a feature RedHat could build such
> as a daemon that would restart X with a secondary config for the
> connected monitor?  Or would that be in the realm of whatever X server
> we jump to if we jump to anything?

There should be tricks.... since /etc/X11/XF86Config can have lines like:

   SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"

In the documents: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-q-and-a-xconfig.html

   You can select more than one screen resolution for
   example, if you prefer 800x600 and 1024x768, you can adjust your
   resolution at any time without opening Xconfigurator. To do this,
   use the [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+ (plus)] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[- (minus)] keys to
   switch between resolutions.

The + and - are on the tenkey pad area last I checked.
This tells me that if the default is selected to  display on both
displays a [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Keypad + (plus)] will get the other/next as listed
in the XF86Config file.  See:

   http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.2/XFree86.1.html

It may also be possible to test things on the docking station.
Differences in "lspci" could be used on some to make decisions.

It could be as simple as a script at login that presents a user
with a reminder to do the [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Keypad + (plus)] thing.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net