Kernel update kills X

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 7 14:43:30 UTC 2004

Peter Onion wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 13:52, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>In addition to making the /dev/mouse symlink point to /dev/input/mice
>>you have to change the first instance within your /etc/X11/XF86Config
>>file to point to the /dev/mouse symlink.
>>
>>Jim
>>

> I should have said I had done that as well !
>
> Peter

I was lazy and just changed the instance of /dev/psaux to point to
/dev/input/mice and didn't worry about the symlink to /dev/mouse. This
worked as well.

There was also mention about changing an entry in /etc/sysconfig/gpm to
/dev/mouse and I chaged it to point to /dev/input/mice as well.

At first attempt, I put mouse in the entry, instead of mice. I realized
later that I did this and corrected the entry to the plural.

If your mouse entries are correct, it might be something other than a
pointer device, maybe your problem is related to the display driver or
something.

Jim