Upgrade core 1 to core 2 test 1

Thomas Molina tmolina at cablespeed.com
Mon Mar 8 11:09:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Georg E Schneider wrote:
>
> > Edward A Jupin schrieb:
> >
> > > Could I do an upgrade, or do I definately have to do a clean install?
> > > Thanks!
>
> > What's a clean install from a *stable* version to a *test* version ?
> > by me it worked not well
> > (problems with the usb-devices caused of the kernel and the
> > module-init-tools/modutils)
>
> we went through this before -- *theoretically*, you should be able to
> upgrade from any stable version to any subsequent test version or the
> next stable version.
>
> this is not to say that it will work, only that it's something that
> *should* work.  i suspect the fedora folks would like people to test the
> upgrade and report problems.

I had one system that had originally been installed as 5.0 and was
continually upgraded all the way through 8.0.  Package updates were done
without problems, and I always had a functioning system.  The only hiccup
I ran into was when RedHat changed the rpm format in mid-stream.

However, there are always differences between a system installed from
scratch and one upgraded.  On an upgraded system old packages will hang
around, permissions on files and directories might be different, and there
will be anomalies.  A bug in rpm, or incorrect assumptions by package
maintainers can cause problems.

I've developed a few policies as a result.  Backups are job one, of
course!  I also mount /usr/local and /home from a different disk.  RedHat
has been good about not messing with these locations, as mandated by the
standards.  This allows me to maintain user data across re-installs and
across a network.