disable IPV6?

Randy L Schrickel randysch at comcast.net
Mon Mar 8 11:26:35 UTC 2004

Daniel Roesen wrote:

> Please show "ip addr show dev eth0" to make sure we have all the info.

I'm at work now, no access to the machine having the problem. So I'll
skip over all the command output you asked for right now. I can do
those from home later today, but I'll answer the questions that don't
need access to the machine.

> Are those two different installations? Or how do you toggle "IPv6
> enabled" (whatever that actually means - as both systems are obviously
> IPv6 enabled per se).

It's a single installation. FC1 worked fine, the Win XP side when I
dual boot works fine. I "disable IPv6" by adding the line

alias net-pf-10 off

to my /etc/modprobe.conf file as mentioned earlier in this thread.

My original issue was incredibly slow DNS. Looking at things across
systems with ethereal showed those multiple AAAA messages. That lead
me to wondering if it was something strange going on with ipv6 on my
machine, so I wanted to "turn it off" as a test. Adding that line to
the file did "turn it off", and DNS was fine.

> Currently, it looks like 68.54.80.5 or your network's NAT is misbehaving
> somehow. What kind of device is doing the NAT?

It's a D-Link wireless access point (but the machine in question isn't
  wireless). I get the same result whether I point my DNS to the
d-link (as dhcp configures it) or if I point it to the upstream
comcast address.

Thanks for the input Daniel.

randy