Upgrade core 1 to core 2 test 1

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Mar 8 15:43:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:16:48AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> now if something could only be done about the disaster that is /var. :-)

What disaster?  You mean that over time some things like /home/httpd
moved to /var/www and similar?  I have systems around which went
through a number of subsequent distribution upgrades.  There was
nothing which could not have been worked-around with a symbolic link
or two.  The worst come to worst you have 'mount --bind ...'
although one should be careful with that one.  Anaconda used to have
problems with that but I did not try that kind of a layout with
upgrades in recent times; maybe it is better now.

I always operate on an assumption that my data and configuration
are more valuable than a system stuff which can be always reloaded
from a CD.

  Michal