postgresql & yum

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Mar 8 19:39:21 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 05:29 am, Kiss Gábor wrote:
> the update of postgresql with yum makes the full
> database backup, sql server update, database conversion and
> database restore too?

No.  As Seth has said, yum will rely on the %pre and %post scriptlets embedded
in the RPM to do things.  As the upstream maintainer for PostgreSQL, I can
tell you with certainty that if you use yum, apt, up2date, or any other
upgrade mechanism to upgrade PostgreSQL from one major version to another
major version you will need to make sure that you take all the steps
necessary to back up and migrate your database to the new version.  You will
have to dump and restore manually. If you do not do this you will need to
downgrade PostgreSQL and then do this.  Nothing is done automatically; there
is too great of a chance of data loss between some versions of PostgreSQL if
things are not done exactly right (things like user compiled C functions, for
instance, cannot be migrated in place, they have to be recompiled).

There are a lot of reasons for this; see the archives of the PostgreSQL
[HACKERS] mailing list for the details.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology