tvtime vs xawtv

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Tue Mar 9 12:54:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:19:35 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:

> > Still, xawtv doesn't need 44% of the CPU power with the same hardware.
>
> Again, I can't duplicate that here.

You don't need to. ;) Others can. Just accept that it might be many more
than "a few people" (which is what you wrote earlier).  There's at least
one bug report about it in the tracker, too. >80% CPU load on a Mandrake
Linux system. It could be the combination of TV card and graphics adapter,
too. That's why I pointed out that whatever tvtime does differently than
xawtv with the same hardware, X server and graphics driver, it results in
high CPU load. Reproducibly. The goal is to find out the cause of the
load, not to argue endlessly about whether or not tvtime works "better"
for some people.

Bart Martens wrote:

> Michael, I agree with what Jesse said. I have a bt878 chipset in my
> Hauppage WinTV Express tv-card. For some reason tvtime works excellent,
> while xawtv crashes.

Is the crash related? Or is it an ordinary bug in xawtv as shipped with
Fedora Core 1, for instance? Someone in this thread mentioned that
tvtime crashes upon startup.