USB scanners are broken

Jürgen Botz jurgen at botz.org
Tue Mar 9 18:36:16 UTC 2004

Randy L Schrickel wrote:
> Sandy Pond wrote:
>> Are you using FC2 test1 because this didn't work for my epson scanner?
>> It did work for FC1, RH9, RH8 ...
>
> Yep. Fresh install from CD the day after it was released, with no
> updates since

Right.  The usbscanner kernel module was removed after 2.6.1 (which
is the kernel in the original FC2 Test 1).  So in FC2t1 it still
worked, thereafter USB scanners are broken.

And they really should be considered /broken/.  Although the
usbscanner module was apparently removed with the idea that
scanning should be done via the libusb thing, this seems to
be not a mature, working solution at this point.  Probably
best thing for Fedora would be to add the usbscanner module
back in with a kernel patch for now.

:j

--
Jürgen Botz               | While differing widely in the various
jurgen at botz.org           | little bits we know, in our infinite