USB scanners are broken

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 17:06:50 UTC 2004

My USB scanner works just fine, but I have to tweak permissions after
every reboot.  The hotplug scripts do not set correct permissions.

Plug in your USB scanner (unplug if necessary) then type dmesg in a
console.  Your scanner's USB bus location will be shown at the bottom.

Then, give yourself full permissions to the corresponding node under /
proc/bus/usb.  For example, my scanner is located at /proc/bus/
usb/001/007, and I simply type (as root):
$ chmod 777 /proc/bus/usb/001/007

Now kooka has no problem finding the scanner.

Regards,
Kevin Freeman