x86_64 list of problems

Pau Aliagas linuxnow at newtral.org
Thu Mar 11 06:36:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Justin M. Forbes wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:33:46PM +0100, Pau Aliagas wrote:
> >
> > Problem 1
> > ---------
> > -X crashes when drawing a window (both in devel and FC1)
> >  The graphics card is a Mobility Radeon 9600 M10. I copied the XFConfig
> >  from the x86_84 FAQ.
> >  When I switch to runlevel 5, xdm starts, but crashes when a window is
> >  drawn, as when you choose the language. It also crashes after logging,
> >  before drawing any app icon in the fedora splash screen.
> > -solution: install Xfree86-4.0 from source and X works.

> We do not even begin to support this graphics card, but yes, XFree86 4.4
> should work, and hopefully something new for FC2 (XFree86 4.4 presents
> licensing issues)

I know about the license problem, but I remember an email from Alan Cox
that talked about patches being backported. I could try to backport the
necessry patches if someone gives me some hints. I'm not usure if that's
possible with the current license.

> > Problem 2
> > ---------
> > -cannot add users: I suppose it's related to some selinux thing I still do
> >  not understand. This makes installing rpms that add users a pain, as
> >  useers are not created (i.e. postfix).
> >
> Is this in FC1 as well?

No, it has to do with selinux not allowing to modify the passwd file.

> > Question 4
> > -mozilla i386 or mozilla x86_64? I have i386 installed.
> >
> For FC1, mozilla i386, for FC2 mozilla x86_64.

Thanks, I'll replace it (I upgraded from FC1T1 to devel, that's why it
must be there).

Pau