kernel missing after apt-get dist-upgrade

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Mar 11 14:47:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:29:38PM +0200, Antti wrote:
> I've got a big problem with apt. When I try to dist-upgrade to fc2t1,
> apt tries to remove all my kernels and doesn't try to install a new one
> (2.6*). Ofcourse I could apt-get install kernel#2.6* after dist-upgrade
> but I don't dare to do it. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I hit a similar problem using yum. It did not install the new kernel,
but did not remove any of the kernels already present. I manually
installed the kernel successfully.

In addition, when the 2.6.1 kernel was installed, the new kernel was
put in the first stanza of grub.conf, but the value of default in
grub.conf was set to 1, resulting in default booting to a 2.4.x
kernel. The work-around, of course, is to hand edit grub.conf to set
default to 0. Prior kernel installations have always set default to 0.