DVD Players & these DeCSS Rulings

Wes Shull wes at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Sun Mar 14 00:02:20 UTC 2004

steve_dum at mentorg.com wrote:

> it would be legal to distribute a program that allowed individuals
> to record their own personal DVD's using DeCSS encription (to assure
> maximal compatibility with DVD players)

I'm not even going to speculate on the legality issue, but where did you
get the idea that using CSS makes a disc more compatible?  CSS is a purely
optional part of DVD encoding; a not inconsiderable number of commercial
DVDs are released without CSS scrambling, probably because it's
cheaper--no paying CSS fees through your mastering/replication facility.
It'll be interesting to see if these fees go away now...

--wes (sorry for the OT digression)