Wireless Card Setup - Small problems

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Sun Mar 14 05:54:15 UTC 2004

Pratik Mehta wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I have been trying to setup my wireless card on Dell Insipiron 5150 A30 bios revision. It is a Cisco 350 PCMCIA Card. The pcmcia is working the green light starts up.
> Then i do:
> iwconfig eth2 essid=xyz key=xxxxxx
> dhclient eth2
>
> but it does not seem to work....it shows me that it is configured but does not work.....
> The warning that i get is: Warning device driver compiled with wireless extension version 16 and the system is using version 15.
>
> Has anybody been successfully able to get this working...This is the last part of the problem in my system.....Thanks.

I get this when using the latest MadWifi based driver and a D-Link (G)
card, as well as with an Orinoco driver and a Compaq wireless (B) card.
It seems that the headers are of a different version than
wireless-tools. I keep hoping that the next wireless-tools version I
download will fix.

-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)