yum and up2date unexpectedly quit (librpmio issue, I think)

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Sun Mar 14 07:03:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 21:16 -0500, Jon wrote:
<snip>
> [jon at localhost jon]$ up2date
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 12, in ?
>    import rpm
> ImportError: /usr/lib/librpmio-4.3.so: symbol regexec, version
> GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
>
> I tried updating from yum, and it comes out with the same output somewhat:
>
> [jon at localhost jon]$ yum
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>    import yummain
>  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 22, in ?
>    import clientStuff
>  File "/usr/share/yum/clientStuff.py", line 18, in ?
>    import rpm
> ImportError: /usr/lib/librpmio-4.3.so: symbol regexec, version
> GLIBC_2.3.4 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

What versions of these do you have currently?
rpm -q up2date yum rpm rpm-devel

librpmio-4.3.so is part of the rpm-devel package so if you're going to
bugzilla this issue it should probably be against rpm since it is
independent of up2date/yum.  I don't see it there yet, but make sure to
do a search yourself in case I missed it.  Before you do that make sure
you have the latest versions of the above packages tho.

--
"The only thing neccessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)

Andrew Farris, CPE major
California Polytechnic University, SLO
fedora at andrewfarris.com