Call for a real Minimal install, remove the bloat!

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sun Mar 14 22:33:46 UTC 2004

Hans Eric Sandström wrote:

>These are the packages I removed after doing a minimal install:
>
># rpm -e apmd aspell aspell-en attr autofs comps dump gnupg hotplug
>isdn4k-utils jfsutils kudzu lftp libwvstreams lrzsz minicom nano parted
>pcmcia-cs rdate system-config-mouse system-config-network-tui setserial
>sendmail specspo star statserial up2date usbutils wireless-tools wget wvdial
>yp-tools ypbind yum irda-utils
>
>I could argue for keeping yum/up2date but I really would like to have apt-rpm
>instead. One of the package managers (up2date/you or apt-get) is needed to
>make it easy to add/update packages later.

why do you need for this few packages  apt ?
rpm -Fvh ftp|http://blabla  should be more than enough.

>[...]
>There are probably lots of other things to do, but we need to start somewhere.

afair there exist such a minimal install project

start eg. here

"minimal install option"
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-beta-list/2003-August/thread.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-beta-list/2003-August/msg01131.html

<snip>

Here is a short, quick list of what I see needs to be removed from an
install "for creating small router/firewall boxes":
aspell
aspell-en
autofs
dhclient
finger
irda-utils
mt-st
mtools
krb5-workstation
nfs-utils
pam_smb
rsh # should not be a default or mandatory install at all
jwhois
wget
ypbind
unix2dos
kudzu # do not generally find router/firewall boxes w/changing hardware
at #firewalls/routers not usually using at commands
parted #firewalls are pretty static partition-wise, remove
sudo # plagued w/security concerns and not useful on a router/firewall
talk # TALK!?!?!?! on a FIREWALL??!?

<snap>

--
shrek-m