Call for a real Minimal install, remove the bloat!

Edwards, Scott (MED, Kelly IT Resouces) James.Edwards at med.ge.com
Mon Mar 15 16:48:40 UTC 2004

I agree I have wanted a bare minimum install for years.  But I encountered
one problem several times that is really irritating: dependencies on X.
Several times when I had a text only install, I tried to install some
package (that really doesn't require X), some package it needs has a
dependency on X.  For example just last week, I wanted to recompile the
kernel (on a text only machine).  I can't remember which package it was now
that failed because there was no X.  This is a major pain.

-Scott