mutt and squid, removed because of dep problems, errors

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 03:09:27 UTC 2004

Frederic de Villamil wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>I just upgraded all of the rpms and had to remove mutt and squid in
>>order to have no conflicts with the install.
>>
>>Trying to re-install mutt gives me this error message.
>>
>>Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
>>mutt  1.4.1-6                            requires libsasl.so.7
>>
>>trying to reinstall squid outputs this error.
>>
>>Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
>>squid  2.5.STABLE5-1                     requires libsasl.so.7
>

> Hello,
> I had  the same problem  a few  time ago, when  I needed to  upgrade a
> package.  I was asked  openssl-devel and  it was  not installed  on my
> system. As soon as I installed it, I was not in trouble anymore.

I have  openssl-devel-0.9.7a-34 installed.

> I  don't know what  way you're  upgrading your  packages but  it seems
> up2date doesn't like  missing dependances as long as  it's not just an
> upgrade issue.
>
> Do you already have libsasl  installed on your system? If not, install
> it  and retry  yyour  upgrade.  Otherwise, upgrade  it  to the  needed
> version.

After removing mutt and squid. I upgraded these packages successfully.
If they are any good, I don't know yet.

cyrus-sasl-2.1.18-1
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.18-1
cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.18-1
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.18-1

In the meantime, I am deleting programs that cause conflicts. So far, I
removed nautilus-media in order to get other upgrades and these two
programs.

The problem with removing mutt is that I have to use kmail to read my
system mail now or mail itself. What other tui mail programs are
available on the system?

Jim