OT: redhat kernels correlation to "vanilla" kernels

Mark Fonnemann markf78 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 23:24:48 UTC 2004

Hello-

i realize this is off topic but...

i am trying to determine the source (and version #) correlation between the
redhat kernels and the "vanilla" kernels. how do the redhat kernels correspond
to the "vanilla" kernels hosted on kernel.org? e.g. the latest redhat kernel
(to the best of my knowledge) is 2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1; i was recently informed on
this list that the redhat kernel has been patched to be current with 2.6.4. is
there a way to tell which kernel the redhat kernel is current with by either
the version number or another method unknownst to me? i just checked kernel.org
and it appears the latest is 2.6.5-rc1.

any explanations or links would be greatly appreciated!! please forgive my
ignorance on this matter, i am eager to learn. thank you.

mark. :-)