Someone Explain: Whats going on X.org/XFree

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Mar 19 06:41:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Richard Ayer III wrote:

>    I think that you need to do rpm -ivh xorg-x11-* because you want to
>install, not upgrade, the xorg packages.

No, you want to upgrade.  xorg installs the exact same files in
the exact same locations as XFree86 packaging does.  It is not
possible to have both XFree86 and xorg-x11 installed
simultaneously with the provided rpm packages.  The xorg-x11 rpms
"Obsolete" all of the XFree86 ones.

As such, the simple and proper way to do the upgrade to xorg-x11,
is to:

1) Upgrade to _all_ of the current packages from rawhide, not
   just xorg-x11

2) Run:  rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-*.rpm

3) You may need to add /usr/X11R6/lib  (or lib64 on AMD64) to
   ld.so.conf and run ldconfig afterward.

After that, things should be rather smooth.

Hope this helps.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat