The new X.org X11 implementation, has now been put in rawhide (was Re: Xorg server)

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Fri Mar 19 11:35:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 16:33 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 15:41 -0500, Doug Stewart wrote:
>
> > Will Backman wrote:

> > Shazbot!
> >
> > Anyone contacted nVidia about morphing their drivers to fit X.org's server?
> >
> > - --
> > - ----------
> > Doug Stewart
> > Systems Administrator/Web Applications Developer
> > Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Labs

> I will be testing it as soon as my finals are over this week.  Spring
> break with xorg... I expect some problems and very little room to fix
> them.

Confirm the nVIDIA driver (version 53.36) works well on my custom
kernel, 2.6.3-mm4, and xorg-x11-0.0.6.6-0.0.2004_03_11.5.

I haven't built and tested the kernel module for latest dev kernel yet
but the primary issue is the XFree86 -> xorg change which works
smoothly.  Using yum I updated all other packages, excluding all xorg
packages, and these others:
yum --exclude=chkfontpath --exclude=anaconda --exclude=gdm \
  --exclude=kdebase --exclude=xorg* update

Then I removed openoffice.org (until tomorrow's build), Xtest, blackbox
(freshRPMs, it requires XFree86), and the livna.org nvidia-glx combo
(glx, kernel module, devel).  Next I installed xorg via yum:
yum install xorg*

Then updated normally with yum again (which now updated the previously
excluded packages).  All XFree86 packages were removed and afaict the
update is complete.

The livna.org nvidia-glx package (FC1 package
nvidia-driver-1.0.5336-0.lvn.3.1.src.rpm) directly requires XFree86 so I
edited the spec to remove the require and rebuilt source rpm.  The
package build completed and installed cleanly afterward, driver up and
running.

--
"The only thing neccessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)

Andrew Farris, CPE major
California Polytechnic University, SLO
fedora at andrewfarris.com