Someone Explain: Whats going on X.org/XFree

Mike Chambers mike at netlyncs.com
Fri Mar 19 15:00:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 00:41, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> 1) Upgrade to _all_ of the current packages from rawhide, not
>    just xorg-x11

Did.

> 2) Run:  rpm -Uvh xorg-x11-*.rpm

Done, and it safely removed the XFree86 packages as well.  Although,
since mirrors hadn't sync'd up yet and didn't want to deal with the slow
d/l speed from redhat.com site, there was still a conflict with
openoffice, so just removed it since not really using it and will readd
it later.  Other than that it worked.

> 3) You may need to add /usr/X11R6/lib  (or lib64 on AMD64) to
>    ld.so.conf and run ldconfig afterward.

Done.

> After that, things should be rather smooth.

So far everything seems to be working as I performed this on a
workstation with all xorg packages, and a server with minimal packages
and everything went fine.

There is one bug so far, and that is rhgb (graphical boot) doesn't run.
Whether that be just don't have the updated package to it to work with
xorg, it hasn't been fixed/updated yet, or there is truely still a bug.

Other than that, good job and all seems well so far :)

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt...Then it's hilarious!"