font differences between xorg vs. xfree86?

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Sat Mar 20 05:09:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 01:00, Jim Cornette wrote:

> > The old font is also known by the name "6x13" in the old X font system.
> > Has someone switch xterm to the new font way (and if so is the old
> > "6x13" available)?
> >
> > If I can't get 6x13 for xterm, I will not be upgrading ever again! :-)
>
> I thought that the fonts on the right looked more readable and with
> better contrast. Basically, it is probably a human factor of observations.
>
> What's up with the spy.png?

The picture doesn't do justice to how awful the "new" font really
looks.  The spacing is totally screwed up, and quite often parts of
letters get overwritten as you type.

The contrast difference is probably because the back of the window on
the left is slightly blue.  I should have changed it to black before
taking the screen shot.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves