Someone Explain: Whats going on X.org/XFree

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Fri Mar 19 06:36:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:41:14PM -0600, Richard Ayer III wrote:
> RaXeT,
>
>     I think that you need to do rpm -ivh xorg-x11-* because you want to
> install, not upgrade, the xorg packages.

No, it's rpm -Uvh. You want to Upgrade from XFree86 to xorg-x11-* (which
obsoletes XFree86-*).

Right now after you upgrade to the xorg-x11 packages you have to edit
/etc/ld.so.conf to re-add /usr/X11R6/lib, then you need to re-run
ldconfig, then "chkconfig xfs on", and restart xfs. (At least, that's
what I had to do to get things working.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>