avi files being detected as RIFF audio in nautilus

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sat Mar 20 18:25:46 UTC 2004

I am experiencing a problem with launching files with an .avi extension
from nautilus.  When the directory listing loads they show to be
microsoft video.  When I select them they change to "RIFF audio".  If I
try to launch, mautilus says that it won't do it because the extension
does not match the detected file type.  The file command says they are
RIFF little-endian but I know that they are really valid avi files that
play just fine.  What's up with this?

I am running the current rawhide.

Thanks,
Steve Bergman