avi files being detected as RIFF audio in nautilus

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sat Mar 20 18:51:01 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:

> Mime type is screwed by the looks of it. Same is happening here :-(

So how does nautilus identify it's mime type?  It does not seem to use
'file' as I can modify /usr/share/file/magic and run file -C
/usr/share/file/magic and nautilus still comes up with RIFF audio.
Where is gnome/nautilus's magic kept?

To be honest, I've never had a clear understanding of the whole file
extension/file type/mime type scheme.  I always get the impression that
the whole concept is kind of broken.

Thanks,
Steve