lvm1 -> lvm2 (FC1 > FC1.90t1) boot failure

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sun Mar 21 08:07:58 UTC 2004

I installed FC1 with some LVM volumes for usr,var,tmp & home
(root,boot,swap were real partitions) spread over two PVs.  FC1 ran fine
with the LVs and did all the expected tasks ok.

Using boot.iso and a local mirror of development tree, I installed
FC1.90 (test1) [not an upgrade - an install] and anaconda/disk druid
allowed me to carry on with the existing LVs (formatting everything
except srv and home - home is an LV, srv is /dev/hdb3) and it carried on
merrily, installing it's little heart out, etc...  culminating in the
reboot as required.

Grub found the /boot and / and the kernel found /srv, but it failed to
boot properly because it could not find/mount any of the LVs (VG not
found).. . .

Drag out the boot.iso CDRW, boot "linux rescue" and (lo and behold!) the
rescue environment finds everything and mounts all the LVs, etc...

I run "lvm vgconvert VGtembo" and change the lvm1 -> lvm2 for the VG.
(There doesn't seem to be a lvconvert.)

reboot.... This time the VG is recognized and the boot process starts to
act as if it could proceed.  But...  no dice, the LVusr can't be found
or activated. (nor could it find LVhome, LVtmp, LVvar).

OK, I knew that root on a LV was a problem, but why does the installer/
rescue environment have no problems with the LVs, but the installed
kernel/boot process can't recognize the LVs?

If this is a forbidden transition, why does anaconda let me do it?

Did I leave out a step or two in converting lvm1->lvm2?

Anyway, this being a test box, I went back and undid the LVM stuff and
reverted to real partitions to get the system back up.  (It's still
installing via http from the local mirror as I write.)

Does this need bugzilla'd?

[hardware blurb]
tembo: K6-2 @ 333 MHz, 320MB RAM
16GB and 20GB IDE drives
Verbatim High Speed CD-RW drive
ATI Mach64 Rage XL
tulip PCI NIC
3c509 ISA NIC
CMI-8330 ISA on-mobo audio
	/dev/hda1       /boot     100MB
	/dev/hda2       swap      640MB
	/dev/hda3       /        2100MB
	/dev/hda5       /var     3200MB
	/dev/hda6       /home    9400+MB

	/dev/hdb1       /usr     6000+MB
        /dev/hdb2       /tmp     2000+MB
        /dev/hdb3       /srv    12000+MB
--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U     RHCT August 2003