Fedora ftp site?

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 21 11:34:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:45:44AM -0800, Jack Bowling wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 05:05:17PM -0800, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 05:14:41PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> > > Any ideas why downloading from the Fedora FTP site should be so dog
> > > slow? It usually whizzes!
> >
> > Has anyone filed an RFE to include bittorrent in the FC2 package.
> > I gave a quick look but did not find one.
> >
> > It seems to me that bittorrent is a necessary subcomponent
> > and prerequisite for enhancements like: Bugzilla Bug #:   116567
> >
> > It would provide a foundation to extend  /etc/init.d/yum and
> > /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron to be a prefetcher for yum and up2date.
> > Synchronization provided by cron would make the torrent more
> > effective.  Local time zones could  tend to localize the torrent
> > on the net. [snip]
>
> All fine and good, Tom. But how do you harness the P2P aspect of
> bittorrent? I do not want anyone else but me opening up ports on my box.
> So having it done automatically as part of a cron job is out of the question
> for me.

Good point...
This is why I wanted  only the basic torrent package at first.
I also did not want to hide the potential impact and futures.

My goal is to enable others to explore and test and speed up my rpm
downloads.

Things must work correctly for those that elect not to or cannot open
ports.

Like you I do not yet believe that there is sufficient community
understanding to blindly bolt it to numerous tools.  But I did a bit
of exploration recently and it does make downloads fly.

I spent hours with lsof, tethereal, netstat watching it... it is
amazing and yes 'interesting'.

First things first.  I did post here for fear of getting what I asked for.
An RFC can sits quietly then just show up almost right.

FC3?

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l