Fedora ftp site?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Mar 22 01:59:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 18:35 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:

> That would annoy users I suspect. And many mirrors dont have the disk space
> to keep two copies for an instant switch. I dont actually think it will be
> that big a deal except during test releases where change rates are high,
> although up2date's inability to handle failover nicely does not help

The mechanism that yum uses to download is called urlgrabber, right now
the guys who write urlgrabber have been undergoing some massive
enhancements to the failover and 'mirrored grab' mechanisms in it.

you can check out some of the items in it here:

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/urlgrabber/

it's being worked on by Michael Stenner and Ryan Tomayko and it's just a
wonderful python module for doing downloads.

I'd love to see it being used in up2date (if possible) and anaconda at
some point. Being pure python limits the dependencies it pulls in
dramatically and makes it easy to use on installer disks, for example.

The urlgrabber in use in yum right now is an older version and does not
show off the new features they've been working on, definitely worh
checking out.

-sv