UPGRADE to Xorg-X11, is it safe??

geneSmith gene.smith at sea.siemens.com
Mon Mar 22 16:53:38 UTC 2004

Bart Kalita wrote:

> Gene Smith wrote:
>> Is it normal for yum to get very quite (80-90% cpu and very little
>> disk activity) for a long time after all the header and packages are
>> downloaded and after printing "Test transaction complete, Success!"? I
>> killed it and started over thinking maybe it was hung but is is still
>> being very slow at this point the 2nd time.
>>

> Depending on the amount of the updated files it might take a fair amount
> of time.

Yum did finally finish whatever it does after "Test transaction
complelete, Success!". But after (or while) installing the 1st of 312
package, libgcc (gcclib?), it really seemed hung, so I killed it again.
It had earlier complained about needing "pyparted" which it had
obtained. I tried to manually install pyparted with rpm but rpm hung and
after that I could not get any rpm function to work again without
reboot. After reboot was able to manually upgrade rpm, python, yum,
pyparted and possibly others using rpm -Uhv. The next time I ran yum it
installed all 312 packages ok and did not hang on/after libgcc. Not sure
what my problem was or if manually installing these packages before
re-running yum had an effect. Or possibly it was not really hung during
gcclib but I just needed to give it more time. (The last time I ran yum,
I gave it a option to print status messages at max level 10. However,
during periods of intense cpu activity and zero disk, it provided no
additional info on what it was doing.)