UPGRADE to Xorg-X11, is it safe??

Bart Kalita bartk at clara.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 19:39:28 UTC 2004

geneSmith wrote:

> Bart Kalita wrote:
>
>> jim tate wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problem of updating the Kdebase , chkfontpath packages,
>>> they can't find 'xfs' , needed as a dependency. and I have
>>> XFree86-xfs installed.
>>> I have missgivings about upgrade to xorg-x11.
>>> In other words I'M SCARED. There you have the truth.
>>>
>>> Jim Tate
>>>

>> There is a short description of my  xorg install process:
>>
>> [root at nemesis bart]# yum --exclude=xorg* --exclude=anaconda
>> --exclude=gdm --exclude=kdebase --exclude=kdebase-devel
>> --exclude=chkfontpath --exclude=XFree86* update
>

> It takes a while to compute on a slooow 500Mhz cpu but it finally worked.
>

>> then,
>>
>> yum install  xorg-x11*
>>
>> followed by ,
>>
>> yum  update
>>
>> after that you should  put  /usr/X11R6/lib  back in  /etc/ld.so.conf
>

> Put it back as the first line, ahead of a couple of qt libraries.
> What is the new file /etc/ld.so.conf.newrpm about?

/usr/X11R6/lib is a 3rd line for me, I basicaly put it back where it was
before an update

regarding  *.newrpm  I do not know, seen a post about that today  thats all.

>> run  restart -xfs   <-  or sometning to that extend  sorry but I'm
>> not sure about this part.
>

> Someone recommended chkconfig --add xfs
> I also did /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
> Is this what you mean by "run restart -xfs"?
> System locked up when I did the xfs restart. Had to hit reset.

chkconfig --add xfs is what I did , sorry I  didn't remeber  the correct
command at the time

>> reboot
>

> During startup, see xfs trying to run but fails because shared library
> file does not exist. When I manually do xfs restart, I see it is
> complaining about library file(s) that do exist in /usr/X11R6/lib.
> Does something else need to be set for it to find the file(s)?
>
> Saw that someone recommended clearing /tmp files but have not yet
> tried that. Not currently physically at the system under test.

I did not  clear any files ,. Simply rebooted and it all worked fine for
me .

>> and U should have xorg running.
>>
>> Worked for me .
>>
> Not yet for me.
> -gene

Bart Kalita  MCP

Registered Linux user #347493   Fedora Core 2

www.bart-domain.com    www.astradine.no-ip.org