xorg and xine

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 22:11:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, William Hooper wrote:

>>> I have had no problem installing xine from Livna
>>> <http://rpm.livna.org/>. If you need xine, you might give that a try.
>>>

>> same problem,  "xine-lib needs XFree86"
>>
>> is forcing it a sencible option??
>
>It might work, but I don't consider forcing packages "sensible" :-)
>
>> or can anybody point me in the direction of some "for  thick peeps"
>> manual to rebuilding source rpms?
>
>Well, just a straight rebuild won't help because the spec file hard-codes
>a dependency on XFree86.
>
>http://freshrpms.net/packages/builds/xine-lib/xine-lib.spec

Yeah, I'm not sure why the freshrpms xine packager has put a hard
coded dependancy on XFree86 in the packaging, as it seems like a
wrong/broken dependancy to me.

If part of the package really does require that a specific binary
be present that used to be present in the XFree86 package, then
it should have a:

Requires: /usr/X11R6/bin/someapp

That would make it X11 implementation agnostic.

In the mean time, I would recommend people either:

1) Download the xine src.rpm, edit the spec file and remove the
   bogus dependancy on XFree86, then rebuild it and upgrade to
   it.

or

2) Try xine binaries from another repository as others have
   suggested, that don't have the XFree86 dep problem.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat