Oracle 10g on FC2T1

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 10:52:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Janusz Sadowski wrote:

> It looks like it's a kernel thing. One guy says he switched to kernel 2.6 on
> SUSE9.0 and got the same error.

The problem seems to be when oracle does a particular shmget call
shmget(IPC_PRIVATE, some number, IPC_CREAT|IPC_EXCL|IPC_NOWAIT|0600)
to sort out its shared memory. In 2.6 it seems you need extra kernel
capabilities for this to work (I think CAP_IPC_LOCK).

I do have a way around this, but it is too much of a bad idea to share at
the moment. The correct solution would be to find some way of granting
this extra capability to the oracle user or appropriate executables, which
you might be able to do with selinux, and I have an idea of how it might
be done more safely without selinux.

	Michael Young