On shutdown "can't open /proc/partitions"

geneSmith gene.smith at sea.siemens.com
Tue Mar 23 14:35:26 UTC 2004

Finally got upgraded to xorg after ungrading/installing 312 packages.
However, now have one additonal problem. Each time the system shuts down
and tries to unmount / fs, I see a one line message "Could not open
/proc/partitions" plus something about UID and LABEL.   Then when I
restart, it always does a lengthy check on my ext2 root fs and does not
find anything wrong. Then I have to boot again and all is fine, until I
shutdown again. I have not yet checked the state of the file
/proc/partitions during run time. Any idea what could cause this problem.

Actually, I first noticed it during the upgrade when I tried to restart
xfs and the system locked/crashed (at which point I had not yet run
ldconfig like I should have) and I had to press reset.

Tks,
-gene