ImportError: /usr/lib/wxPython/lib/libwx_gtk2ud-2.4.so: undefined symbol: _gtk_accel_group_detach

Wes Shull wes at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Thu Mar 25 00:14:27 UTC 2004

Ralf Sigmund <sigmund at ipk-gatersleben.de> wrote:

> I have been trying to install wx-python on my current installation of
> Fedora Core 1.9 as I have done it before several times.
[...]
> ImportError: /usr/lib/wxPython/lib/libwx_gtk2ud-2.4.so: undefined
> symbol: _gtk_accel_group_detach

You should follow the list; I mentioned this just a few days ago (in a
thread about BitTorrent, which uses wxPython).  Currently wxGtk is using
private Gtk symbols that they're not supposed to, which Gtk stopped
exporting recently.  See:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=915333&group_id=9863&atid=109863

As for a remedy...
a) stop using libraries from people that do dumb things in their code ;-)
or
b) downgrade gtk, and everything else that requires the current version.
Not my idea of fun.

Myself, I've gone with option a for the moment.