floppy boot disk on RC2 Test1

Matt Graham mdg149 at rcn.com
Thu Mar 25 05:11:45 UTC 2004

Harry Putnam wrote:

>>FC2Test1 doesn't have floppy images, the kernel is too big to fit.  Please
>>search the archives.
>>

>  From: Gerrit <gerrit at nl.linux.org>
>  Subject: missing bootdisk.img
>  Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.testers
>  Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:03:57 +0100
>
>At least two messages in that thread give a technique using grub.conf
>or lilo that makes it unnecessary to have a floppy or boot cd.
>Once you've tried this... if its appropriate for you situation, you
>won't want to do it any other way.

Ok, I tried getting this to work but I'm doing something wrong.  I
copied vmlinuz to my /boot directory and initrd.img there too.  I added
a new entry to lilo and it shows up, but when I try to boot to the new
install kernel, it starts, but just tries to boot my normal system,
doesn't go into the Fedora install process.  I'm thinking I screwed up
on either the lilo entry, or I should have put the entire isolinux on my
hard drive and booted to that somehow.

Here's the lilo entry, it's pretty much just copied from my main kernel
image entry except for the label and image are changed appropriately:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-fc2t1-boot
        label=fedora_install
        root=/dev/hda7
        read-only

Is that close?  Do I need to put the rest of the isolinux folder
somewhere special on my harddrive?

thanks
-matt