xorg install - X won't start completely

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 21:45:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Jim Cornette wrote:

>> Also, xorg supports running without XF86config. I used this to fix mine
>> after it wouldn't find my fonts. Although it was running at limited
>> resolution.
>
>How does it support running without a configuration file?

By using sane built-in defaults for things, with better
autodetection than in past releases of XFree86.  Note that while
the X server can now work much better without any config file by
default, it WILL NOT be 100% perfect for use in this manner for
everyone.

Rather, the configfile-less operation is intended to be used for
minimal environments such as OS installers, and to make it easier
to bring the X server up without any config file for the purpose
of creating a config file with GUI tools.

>Is there another file for configuring X somewhere?

No.

>Or you talking about the old configuration program before
>redhat-config-xfree86?

No, I'm talking about the X server being smarter now, and having
built in configuration that is used if a config file is not
present, where the X server makes a valiant attempt to autodetect
the hardware as best it can, and provide some sane default
settings in an attempt to be able to start up at all, without
requiring itself to be configured first.

>If it figured out dynamically which settings were best for the
>machine.  It seems that there would be long delays starting and
>a chance of over-excercising the video card with setting trials.

If you're interested in the implementation aspects of the
autoconfiguration bits, you can find the X server sources in
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86 in an exploded tarball if you
like.  The upstream development of X.org X11 is being done
entirely on public mailing lists, with open collaboration and
contribution also, so if you find any problems with the
autoconfiguration mechanisms, or if you've got ideas for
improvements, upstream development would be happy to have
additional volunteer contributions and/or suggestions.

>If it went by some database for cards, took the settings, stored
>the settings in specific registers, then used other standardized
>schemes, it might work.

The autoconfiguration stuff that is there right now, is not
really intended to be a full replacement for the config file,
which everyone should use instead of configuring their X server,
but rather it is intended to make it easier to get the X server
up and running at all in lieu of a config file.

I'm sure there are likely many ways this can be improved in the
future, however the existing autoconfig stuff is useful
anyway in some circumstances for some users.  It's also useful
in testing environments.

Feel free to join in the X.org development effort if you're
interested, as fresh ideas are always welcome from new
volunteers!

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris       ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer - X.org X11 maintainer - Red Hat