new kernels, cifs and new webmin

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 14:42:58 UTC 2004

Harry Putnam said:
> "William Hooper" <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> [whooper at poit whooper]$ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=whooper
>> //brain/backups /mnt/temp/
>> Password:
>> [whooper at poit whooper]$ cd /mnt/temp/
>> [whooper at poit temp]$ ls test
>> ls: test: No such file or directory
>> [whooper at poit temp]$ touch test
>> [whooper at poit temp]$ ls test
>> test
>> [whooper at poit temp]$ rm test
>> [whooper at poit temp]$ ls test
>> ls: test: No such file or directory
>> [whooper at poit temp]$
>>
>> Brain is a Win2k Pro machine.  Note that I have a non-blank password,
>> but
>> I don't know if that is your issue or not.
>
> You're having no problem writing... In my case the //HOST is
> win-xp pro and share /J-ahn-d has win-xp permissions settings of
>  [x] Share this folder on the network
>  [x] Allow network users  to change files
>
> No password.  Far as I know there is no other settings
> available. Than what appear on the dialog box where I've checked the
> above.
>
> I've just tried several incantations using mount -t like your example.
> It will mount even with no -o (options) given.  Or as you''ve done
> with a username only.  But still I cannot write to it.
>
> I've spoken with Steve French about this.  He is one of the upstream
> mainters of cifs, but still haven't found the reason or a solution.

I don't think your issue is cifs at all, but WinXP.  Here is what a quick
Google search turns up:

http://lowendpc.com/box/2002/0916.html

Reading the links from that article, it looks like you are trying to use
"Simple file sharing".  From what I gather "Allow network users to change
files" actually only allows everyone to "Read"...

I'd say since you have WinXP Pro, get rid of the "Simple" file sharing
crap and set permissions manually.

Disclaimer: I've only used WinXP Pro in a domain environment which doesn't
use the "Simple" file sharing.

--
William Hooper