DVD images of new FC

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Mar 27 03:40:41 UTC 2004

Chris Adams wrote:

>Once upon a time, Maynard Kuona <knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za> said:
>

>>I think is the interests of saving space, what is more needed is a
>>script which is part of the isos which can automate the making of the
>>dvd from the normal isos. This will require more space, but probably
>>more efficient for everyone too, since you will only have to redownload
>>1 iso if something goes wrong, rather than a whole dvd iso.
>>

>Here's my script to do this:
>
>http://www.iruntheinter.net/files/misc/mkdvd-1.0
>
>It tries to catch the errors and clean up.  I'm thinking about adding
>MD5SUMS checking to it.
>
>This one uses the "-f" option to mkisofs to follow symlinks so that it
>doesn't have to copy the whole tree to disk.  This speeds up the process
>significantly and also doesn't require as much disk space.

This topic may be the best time to introduce a new idea.. I recently
tested the "jigdo" program to download the isos for a debian install.
This could help save space on both CD isos and DVD isos..
Here's how jigdo works:
there's a jigdo program (available for windows and linux) . You download
a .jigdo file for each file you want to download (suppose you want to
download yarrow-i386-disc1.iso , then you download
yarrow-i386-disc1.iso.jigdo) . The .jigdo file is very small (about 30
KB) . Then , the jigdo program downloads a .template file (for the
debian cds , they were about 27mb each). It then asks which mirror it
should use to download the remaining files. Then , it downloads every
file that belongs in the CD (in our case , the base RPMS) and builds a
perfect iso file .
If we check the ftp site , we'll see that the
fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/ directory (for example) , contains all the
files that exist on the 3 ISOS. This means that if we have on the mirror
all the 3 isos and the install tree , we're having two copies of each
file (one being in fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/ and the other being
inside one of the isos). With jigdo we could stop this waste of space ,
by having only one copy of each file in the $releasever/$basearch/os
directory... The total size of the .jigdo and the .template files for
the 3 binary cds and for the SRPM cds would be around 100Mb , instead of
the 3.6 Gb used by the 6 CD set...
With this , we could also provide the .jigdo and .template files for the
DVD images as well , without needing huge amounts of disk space on the
mirror.. And this can be applied to the binary isos and for the srpm
isos , as all the needed files are on the mirrors... The only situation
where this isnt possible is with the isos for the test releases, because
the updates and the base files are located on the development directory
and the original files are removed when they are updated...

What do you guys think? I was thinking about this and was almost posting
this suggestion to fedora-devel-list...

--
Pedro Macedo